Atletico Madrid are appealing defender Kieran Trippier's 10-week suspension to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, a club spokesman says.
The move comes after FIFA rejected the club's appeal over Trippier's ban, which he received for violating betting rules in England.
The 30-year-old full-back was hit with the suspension last month after advising a friend by text message to "lump on" his move to Madrid from Tottenham in 2019.
Atletico appealed against the suspension but FIFA announced on Monday it had been dismissed and confirmed the ban had "worldwide effect".
Hours later, an Atletico spokesman said the club would immediately file an appeal to sport's highest court over Trippier's ban.
FIFA's ruling means the England full back is banned from playing until February 28.
But if CAS agrees to hear the case he will be allowed to keep playing until a decision is made.
The ban cannot be extended beyond February 28, irrespective of what CAS decides.
Trippier missed two La Liga games due to the suspension but returned and provided an assist in last Tuesday's 2-0 win over Sevilla following an injunction on the ban placed by FIFA following Atletico's appeal.
Before the ban was announced, he had played every minute for Atletico in La Liga and the Champions League.
The FA's report on Trippier's ban showed he had provided information around his transfer from Tottenham to Atletico to friends who placed bets on the move.
- with Reuters
Australian Associated Press