Toomelah memorial team win Goondiwindi's rugby league knock-out

The Maria Hippi Memorial Tigers from Toomelah took out the Battle on the Border rugby league knock-out on Saturday.

Coach Sonny Peckham said the 44-4 grand final against the Bruce Binge Memorial Team showed what the boys could do, coming down to fitness at the end of the day. 

“It really showed what sort of team we have,” Sonny said.

“They played the way I coach and the way we train. I give credit to the other team; they had to play an extra game than us. But it was also an opportunity for the boys to have a bit of fun after an early lead,” he said.

The Tigers came up against All Our Mob from Armidale in their first round defeating them 10-4.

“The first game is always hard but it makes it easier when all the boys know each other,” Peckham said. 

In their second 20-0 win, the boys faced cross-border rivals and teammates, the Gundy Boars. “It came down to the friendships. It was a bit casual and I’m disappointed they didn’t take it to the next level but they train with these boys on a regular basis and they’re all mates so it was a harder win,” Peckham said.

Boars coach, Mark Offerdahl, was impressed with the day of footy. “Gundy can really put on a show,” he said. “The town loves rugby league.

“And even though we didn’t win the knock-out the team that did, has 10 players who will spend the season with the Boars.”

Gundy’s first game against Brisbane Blacks was a “tough” 12-6 win. “We were still figuring ourselves out but we came from behind,” Mark said said.

“In our second game we came from behind twice. And that’s what I love: when people don’t give up,” he said. The Boars won their second round against the Gold Coast’s Southern Seagulls 22-18.

The Boars played the Tigers in the semi-final and were knocked out. “We had three out to start and six by the end,” Mark said said. “But they probably would have beat us anyway. They deserved the win.”

All Our Mob won the consolation prize after defeating Black Lives Matter from Campbelltown 34-6.

President, Tony Carter, said it was a great day with some good footy attracting a crowd around 1500.