Gourmet in Gundy lived up to all expectations as crowds gathered on the lawn of the Goondiwindi Community Cultural Centre on Sunday.
One of the highlights was a cooking segment by celebrity chef Goergia Barnes who was left impressed by Gundy’s gastronomy. “Brisbane should get its act together,” she said.
Here’s the delectable recipe she made for onlookers. You, too, can make it at home.
Saucy Barbeque Meatballs with Apple and Fennel
• 500g pork mince
• 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
• 1 tbsp ginger, grated
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 free-range egg
• 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 tsp Chinese five spice
• 1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
• 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
• 1/4 cup raw honey
• 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 fennel bulb finely sliced
• 2 apples, finely sliced • 2 shallots, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
• 2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
• Salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl combine pork mince, onion, ginger, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, five spice and fennel seeds. Mix together well and season with salt and pepper. Roll into tablespoon-sized balls. Heat grill to medium heat. Add meatballs and cook for 4-5 minutes each side, or until cooked through.
2. To make the barbecue sauce, mix together hoisin, honey, 1 tablespoon of the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove meatballs from grill and place into sauce to coat well. Place 2-3 meatballs on each skewer.
3. Prepare the salad by combining fennel, apple, shallots, sesame seeds, mayonnaise and remaining apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Mix well. Season to taste.
4. Serve meatballs warm with salad.