A man celebrating the Fourth of July holiday in the US has died after he tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, the second man killed in strikingly similar accidents in the past week, police say.
Devon Staples, 22, had been setting off fireworks with friends in the backyard of a friend's home in Calais, in the state of Maine, when the accident occurred on Saturday night, local time.
Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, told the Associated Press that Mr Staples placed a firework mortar tube on his head and set it off. He died instantly.
Police said the friends had been drinking alcohol before the accident.
Mr Staples' brother, Cody, told the New York Daily News that he was standing less than two metres away from his brother when he died.
Cody said his brother, who had recently become engaged, was joking around at the time and did not intend to set off the firework.
He said his brother was holding a lighter and it "accidentally caused the firework to go off", the newspaper reported.
"I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," Cody said.
"It was a freak accident … But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."
Cody said his brother lived in Orlando, Florida, where he worked as a dog walker. He previously worked at the Walt Disney World theme park, where he was employed to dress up as various Disney characters.
"He was someone everyone should want to be like when they grow up," Cody told the newspaper.
"He was my younger brother and I looked up to him."
Less than a week earlier, 47-year-old Scott Jeffers died at a family gathering at Walled Lake, in the US state of Michigan, after he jokingly placed a powerful firework next to his head, police told The Oakland Press.
Mr Jeffers was trying to imitate a YouTube stunt and believed the firework was not lit, but it was, WXYZ Detroit reported. He died instantly.
"This is just a horrible reminder of how dangerous fireworks are," Walled Lake Police Chief Paul Shakinas told The Oakland Press.
"Obviously, alcohol played a pretty significant factor ... and this horrific event is also a reminder that alcohol and fireworks don't mix."
On the same day Mr Jeffers died, a 12-year-old boy was killed in a fireworks accident in Nashville in Tennessee.
Neighbours said Antonio Braden, 12, was pointing a firework rocket towards the sky when one of his friends lit it, WSMV reported.
The firework was meant to shoot into the sky, but instead struck Braden in the chest, killing him.